Facilities where flammable and/or volatile materials are present require specific equipment designed to minimize the risk of open fire and explosions. This equipment is Explosion Proof (EX) rated to strictly control temperature, static and other factors that cause dangerous explosions. Should your business invest in EX rated forklifts? The material handling equipment experts at Barclay Brand Ferdon explain how EX rated forklifts improve safety and where they should be used.
What Does EX Rated Mean?
|Short Term Rental EX Rate Truck in the BBF Fleet|
To earn EX rated status, forklifts must meet rigorous design requirements for safe use in hazardous environments where flammable gasses, vapors, dusts and other particles are present. These requirements include:
- Metal surfaces designed to stay below the auto ignition point
- EX enclosures for all electrical components that prevent electric arcs and allow vapors and gasses to pass through, but are rugged enough to withstand and contain flames or explosions
- Enclosure joints of a length and fit to extinguish flames and cool gasses before their release
- Shafts and mechanical linkages designed to contain flames and heated gasses
- Conduits that withstand high temperature and pressure levels due to explosions
- One side of each conduit is sealed to prevent flames and hot gasses from traveling between enclosures
- Static conductive tires that prevent static discharge
Environments that Demand EX Rated Forklifts
Explosion-proof material handling equipment is a must for any facility where flammable and volatile materials are present. As defined by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) hazardous location classification system, hazardous materials include:
- Class I: gasses and vapors, such as acetylene, propane, hydrogen and ethylene
- Class II: dusts, including metal, coal and grain dust
- Class III: fibers and flyings, which include particles produces by wood, paper and cotton processing
Many facilities can benefit from EX rated forklifts, including sites where paints, varnishes, inks, chlorine and certain medical chemicals, cosmetic products and botanical materials are manufactured, processed or stored. And while EX rated forklifts may not be needed throughout a facility, they are recommended for drying rooms, spraying and painting booths, flammable material refrigeration areas and any other space where material handling equipment could come into contact with highly explosive elements.
Make Your Facility Safer
Ready to learn more about material handling equipment for hazardous environments? Barclay Brand Ferdon offers a variety of EX rated forklifts to lease, for short term rental or to own with options to suit your facility, productivity needs and budget. Contact us online or call 908-561-2100 for additional information.