Perishable products require cold storage warehousing. Food, beverage and healthcare are the primary industries that utilize cold storage for the preservation of their products
Some of these warehouses are maintained at temperatures as low as -40°F. Temperatures this low pose unique challenges for worker comfort, equipment longevity, and more. At Barclay Brand Ferdon, our cold storage warehousing solutions have helped enhance overall operation and safety of our clients in Central and Northern New Jersey as well as in part of New York. With several cold storage warehousing packages to choose from, we provide custom lift truck and pallet jack solutions that meet a wide range of client needs.
The Challenges of Cold Storage
Apart from worker discomfort, cold storage warehouses also pose other material handling challenges. These include:
- Messy, wet floors: When working with food and similar products, debris can fall to the floor and create slippery conditions.
- Vertical configurations: Because cold storage facilities are more expensive to run, many operations choose to create taller, narrower racking configurations to save on costs per square foot. However, this creates a need for lift trucks that can reach very high without posing unnecessary risks to workers.
- Equipment and battery strain: When cold storage equipment encounters temperature inversions, condensation can develop inside of it. When it’s moved back and forth from cold to hot temperatures, the beads of condensation can freeze/melt and cause internal wiring to contract/expand. As a result, equipment batteries can drain faster and the electronic, mechanical, and hydraulic functions of a fleet can be negatively impacted.
Effective Cold Storage Solutions
The Barclay Brand Ferdon team knows that one size does not fit all, especially when it comes to cold storage warehousing solutions. We offer several Yale cold storage warehousing packages for clients to choose from, including:
- Cooler/Freezer Package: For high-humidity, wet applications from 0 to 120°F.
- SubZero Freezer Package: For blast-freezer and subzero applications from -40 to 120°F.
- Heavy Corrosion/Wash Down Package: For corrosive environments from 0 to 120°F.
- Galvanized Frame, Lift Linkage, Battery Well, and Fork Weldment: For severe, corrosive applications.
As a part of these packages, we provide clients with one or more of the following services:
Yale Wash-Down Packages
Following exposure to damaging wet substances, clients may opt to have their equipment washed down by one of our providers. This service removes harsh liquid and debris from material handling equipment, which maximizes operating life and helps keep it in proper working order.
Cold Storage Tires
When navigating over wet, slippery floors, tire traction plays an important role in keeping workers safe. Our team has many options to disable this hazard. Polyurethane tires with micro grips or razor snipes to enhance traction is one. This option maintains the workability and stability of their cold storage fleets.
Cold Storage Equipment
When helping clients to create a new cold storage fleet or optimize an existing one, our team members only recommend equipment that is specially engineered to withstand condensation, temperature inversions and all operational challenges. These machines often include selections from Yale, whose superior products are flawless in demanding cold storage environments.
Request a Quote From Barclay Brand Ferdon Today
For years, Barclay Brand Ferdon has set itself apart with an expansive line of state-of-the-art material handling products. At the same time, our custom warehouse solutions and high-touch client support allow us to help clients meet and even surpass their production goals. To get started on a tailored cold storage warehousing solution, request a quote from us online or call 908-561-2100.
You can also learn more by checking out one of our Cold Storage Case Studies.